Caeleste a turn-key supplier of high-end, beyond state-of-the-art CMOS image sensors. Our activities include custom image sensor design, manufacture, assembly and characterization. Caeleste is the originator of many novel concepts as high-speed, low-noise image sensors, indirect X-ray detectors with photon counting, color X-ray sensors, and sub-0.5 noise electron read noise CMOS pixels.
Caeleste focuses on:
- Image sensors for scientific imaging and instrumentation
- Medical imaging (X-ray devices with either direct or indirect X-ray photon conversion)
- Particle detection (electrons – protons)
- Industrial image sensors
- Space and radiation hard design
- Photonic devices for life science applications
Find out more about our image sensor solutions in the following application fields:
Caeleste has the short-term ambition to create CMOS image sensors to match scientific CCDs in all respects:
- backside illumination, stitching up to wafer scale
- ILT-CCD like operation by the use of “global shutter” (GS) CMOS technology, at the same time allowing true, on-chip CDS
- low dark current by pinned diodes, and buried memory nodes for global shutter operation
Where CMOS outperforms CCD:
- CMOS type of interfaces, including on-chip AD conversion, extremely high data throughput, at the lowest possible power
- linear, >100dB dynamic range by Caeleste’s exclusive HDR techniques (see patents page), compatible with CDS and GS
- radiation tolerance, for TID, SEU, SET etc.
Our vision on the design of CMOS image sensors
We help our customers to differentiate and stand out in their market by going the extra mile in the creation of fully customized CMOS image sensors. Thanks to our open & collaborative approach, Caeleste’s image sensors fortify the leadership position of our customer, each in their well-chosen field of product expertise.
Geert De Peuter – CEO
Beyond state of the art’ is not just a slogan. It refers to our capability and willingness to go very deep in trade-off spaces, realizing specs far beyond state-of-the-art thereby sacrificing other specs that are not essential for the particular case.
Bart Dierickx – CTO